Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reflection is working!

This week seemed very strange, and it was for many reasons. One was that we did not have practicum on Monday, and jumped right in on a Tuesday. So did all of the students and teachers, but with a shortened week, everyone's routine is thrown off slightly. And if that wasn't enough, we had also had the entire week previous to that off as well for the students' spring break. The first week back from a long break is always hard, especially for five year olds. We spent the majority of the week trying to get back into our routines and reminding everyone of the procedures. The students were trying to readjust, definitely, but I realized how much this type of week affected me too, as a teacher.

Similarly to my blog previous about the class right before spring break, in which our routine was thrown off, it was hard to get students back on track following a week like that, and us as teachers as well. I spent the two days this week trying to keep myself on track and level-headed because I had remembered how I had reacted the week prior, and had my reflection there to remind me how it made me feel as a teacher, and what I wanted to change. Because I had revisited my blogs prior to this week, I was reminded of that reflection, and was able to prepare myself for the situation I knew I would be in.

The students were particularly loud and off-task this week, and I feel like I did a good job keeping my temper to a minimum even though I was on edge from being out of practice. When students did things such as spoke out of turn or  tapped their pencil, ordinarily something that does not bother me, but I knew would irritate me on a week such as this, I reminded myself to take a moment, and simply remind them of the rules, or asked them to stop.

I definitely had my moments, and was not perfect the whole time. My teacher was in a bit of a panic because she had not finished her report cards that were due on Friday. She gave the entire class to me and my co-teacher, and we taught every lesson on Thursday. This was a long day after the way the students were acting, and the week we were coming back from, and we have never taught the entire class, all day long before. I definitely became irritated and at one point, the students were simply not listening to either myself or Holly, and we were working on a particularly difficult assignment. I shouted to the class "the next person who talks is getting their clipped moved, no matter what the reason". At the moment, I immediately felt guilty. I did not like being so harsh or being so strict with the kids. However, looking back, I realized that it may have been necessary at the moment. It was their third day back, and I needed to be able to expect them to be better behaved. Also, we were working on something important and a new concept, so it was necessary that they listen carefully. However, I still didn't like the way I felt about being so strict. I think that in the future, if I am teaching the lessons I am prepared for, and they are my students, I will not have to be so strict because I will have more control, however, I also need to learn that it is okay to command my class and take control when it is needed. I do not always have to be the teacher that is never strict. I have expectations and the students need to work to meet them.

Overall, I could see already how my blog was helping me as a teacher, and how my reflection had already forced me to grow and progress. And all-in-all I loved that feeling. I felt much more in control. more useful, and like I was being the teacher I wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment